Background of the GCNH
The Ghana Coalition of NGOs in Health (GCNH) is a reputable not-for-profit Civil Society Organisation (CSO) established in 2000 as an umbrella and coordinating body of activities of all registered NGOs/CBOs in the health sector in the country.
GCNH currently has a membership of over 417 registered local civil society organizations with regional branches and offices in all the 10 regions of Ghana. We are legally registered with number: G-18,251(Re-newed in February, 2015) and Social welfare certificate number: DSW/5379.
To provide public health and safety interventions across the nation through evidence based advocacy, empowerment of members, innovative programming, organizational development and behavior change communication
Our broad objectives:
- Promote health sector research for sustainable health development outcomes.
- Empower member organisations to deliver standard public health services in communities.
- Provide a forum for NGOs/CBOs in the health sector to carry out evidence based advocacy and campaigns.
- Support our members to carry out social and behavior change communication interventions to influence healthy life styles among Ghanaians and positive policy influence, and
- Improve quality health for all by educating and reaching hard to reach communities.
We have policy making and management structure as a national umbrella Health CSO. The highest decision making body is annual general meeting (AGM). This body mandates the Board of trustees (BOT) to act on their behalf after AGM. There is a management structure (National Secretariat), which implements the decisions and policies of the AGM/BOT.
Current Areas Of Operations
The Ghana Coalition of NGOs in Health operates and it is present in 201 M/MDAs in Ghana. We are currently liasing and collaborating with districts and GHS in the of health service provision. These are HIV/AIDS, TB, Malaria, Water and Sanitation, Non-communicable diseases, Mental health financing, building health facilities and holding health workers accountable to improve service delivery. Specific ongoing activities are as below;