Background of the GCNH
The Ghana Coalition of NGOs in Health (GCNH) is a reputable not-for-profit Civil Society Organisation (CSO) established in 2000 as an umbrella and coordinating body of activities of all registered NGOs/CBOs in the health sector in the country.
GCNH currently has a membership of over 350 registered local civil society organizations with regional branches and offices in all the 16 regions of Ghana. We are legally registered with number: G-18,251(Re-newed in February, 2015) and Social welfare certificate number: DSW/5379.
To provide public health and safety interventions across the nation through evidence based advocacy, empowerment of members, innovative programming, organizational development and behavior change communication
Our broad objectives:
- Promote health sector research for sustainable health development outcomes.
- Empower member organisations to deliver standard public health services in communities.
- Provide a forum for NGOs/CBOs in the health sector to carry out evidence based advocacy and campaigns.
- Support our members to carry out social and behavior change communication interventions to influence healthy life styles among Ghanaians and positive policy influence, and
- Improve quality health for all by educating and reaching hard to reach communities.
PUBLICATIONS AND NATIONAL POLICY DOCUMENTS THAT GCNH HAS CONTRIBUTED TO
- Ghana Policy On Anti Microbial Use And Resistance And The National Policy Plan
- National Policy On One Health (Yet To Be Launched)
- Risk Factor Survey Of Ghana’s Non Communicable Disease
- National Healthcare Quality Strategy.
- Private sector development policy
- Development of health sector medium term development plan
- Development of healthcare financing policy
We have policy making and management structure as a national umbrella Health CSO. The highest decision making body is annual general meeting (AGM). This body mandates the Board of trustees (BOT) to act on their behalf after AGM. There is a management structure (National Secretariat), which implements the decisions and policies of the AGM/BOT.
Areas Of Operations
The Ghana Coalition of NGOs in Health operate and present in 201 M/MDAs in Ghana. We liase and collaborate with district assemblies and GHS in health service provision. These include but are not limited to HIV/AIDS, TB, Malaria, Water and Sanitation, Non-communicable diseases (NCDs), Mental health financing, health infrastructure, neglected tropical disease (NTDs) and holding health workers accountable (fight medical negligence) to improve service delivery. Specific activities are as below
- Creating demand for immunization health services in 33 districts in Ghana
- Advocacy for a sustainable and domestic immunization financing upon GAVI exit (Immunization advocacy initiative project).
- Participation of regional health forum and review meetings of Ghana Health Service (GHS) and National annual health summit as well as contributing the Aide Memoire.
- Participation of inter-agency coordination committee of EPI and health sector technical working groups of the ministry of health
- GCNH is a member of the following technical working groups;
- EPI communication technical working group (Chaired by Director of health promotion division)
- Risk Communication and Social Mobilization of the Health Promotion Division of GHS
- Country Coordinating Mechanism of the Global Fund (Chaired by an elected member)
- MoH Senior Managers bi-annual meetings
- GHS Senior Managers bi-annual meetings
- Annual Health Summit planning committee meetings
- National Healthcare Quality Steering Committee meetings.
- National Antimicrobial Technical Working group meetings
- Gavi portfolios Technical Working group meetings
- Ghana Aids Commission Technical Working Group
- Ministry of Gender and Social protection technical working group meetings
- Mental Health technical working group meetings
- National Population Council technical working group on ASRH meetings
- Malaria Vaccine Implementation Steering committee meetings
- WAHO Programs Steering committee meetings
- Knowledge Transformation Platform Steering committee meetings
- One Health Technical Working Group
- Non-Communicable Diseases Working Group